Sunday, March 9, 2014

the Sunday Special: Oatmeal Bars

Oatmeal. I have quite a bit of it. My fave grocery store was giving out 2 lb bags with purchases over $30 and well, I rarely get out of there without spending 3 or 4 times that.

Since I don't normally eat oatmeal for breakfast, I've been experimenting with different recipes that can incorporate oatmeal. So far I have made pancakes.



A spiced pear cake.


Yeah, I know. No one saw this fun pattern I made with the pears, but it made me happy. And now you've seen it too!

(They were just covered up by this last layer of chocolaty spiced goodness before being baked to gooey perfection.)

I'm playing around with purple....pancakes? Veggie patties? We'll see.


And these guys.



Vegan Oatmeal Bars
2 cups Organic Rolled Oats
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Cinnomon
2 pinches of Sea Salt
1 tsp Cacoa Nibs
1 row of 72% Cocoa Dark Chocolate broken in pieces
1 heaping tsp or so Gogi Berries
1 ½ cups juice/pureed overly rip Organic Pears
Coconut Oil to grease pan

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.. If the coconut oil is solid, put a tsp or so in a dish and stick it in the oven to melt. (I melted it in a different dish and then poured it into the pan I wanted to use for baking. That way I was able to just use my finger to coat the pan and didn't have to worry about the pan being to hot to touch.)

Combine all ingredients except pears. Once that is thouroughly mixed, add the pear puree.


Pour into greased pan and bake for about 20-30 mins.

They can be cut into squares and be ready to grab on the go for breakfast or a quick snack. They have no added sugar so the sweetness is very light. (If you need extra sweetness, you could add a like brown sugar or honey.) For extra indulgence, they are amazing with vanilla ice cream and toasted almonds. But what isn't, right!

No comments:

Post a Comment