Sunday, November 3, 2013

the Sunday Special - If an Artichoke was a Potato

I have a hard time resisting the urge to buy new veggies that pop up in the produce department or local farmers market. Although I asked the grocer what this fella was, I immediately forgot the name.



No worries. I didn't bother to look up how to cook it anyways. I just placed it in a glass bread pan, put the lid on, and baked it at 350 degrees for ....hmmm, probably 45min to an hour. I took it out when the little bit of juice was starting to really bake on the pan and I didn't want it to bake on any harder. Seriously, who wants to spend their time scrubbing pans.



With the first one, I sliced it. The outside was still really hard even after being baked but the inside was soft so I knew it had to be done. I started peeling off the outside because it was super woody and not edible.



The second one, I peeled first then sliced it.



Of course, like most new veggies, the grocer only bought one shipment of them. Luckily, a friend of mine has a diverse knowledge bank of vegetables. Any guesses as to what this is?

The green color, the choke-y inedible peel, the savory meaty center all reminded me of an artichoke. The shape and consistency reminded me of a potato. The best of both worlds. The rich flavor, but much less work than an artichoke.

Wikipedia compares it to broccoli stem. Yeah, I can see that.

If you are interested in trying one, keep your eyes out for a .... kohlrabi.

No comments:

Post a Comment