Sunday, January 19, 2014

the Sunday Special - Gluten-free Vegan Cornbread

I made a huge batch of cheese dip recently that was sooo yummy. I didn't want to keep eating just cheese dip for dinner....well, I DID want to but know I should be consuming a few more veggies than that. I decided to use the leftovers as a base for some vegetarian chili (which turned out great!) and of course, chili is not complete without cornbread. I used a traditional recipe as a guide and substituted or left out ingredients I didn't have or want to include.


Gluten-Free Vegan Cornbread

1 1/4 cups Garbanzo Bean flour (organic)
3/4 cup Polenta (organic)
2 tsp baking powder (non-alum)
1/8-ish tsp ground sea salt
1 cup unsweetened Hemp Milk
1/4 cup Grapeseed Oil
1-2 TBs Agave Nectar light (organic)
1 tsp coconut oil (organic)

Mix dry ingredients. Stir in milk and oil until dry ingredients are moist. Swirl in the agave nectar.

Coat glass loaf pan with coconut oil. Pour in batter and bake 15-20 mins at 400F.



I ended bringing these to a vegan potluck so I made a second batch. I doubled the recipe and used my donut stone. I put the coconut oil in the stone and stuck it in the oven while it was preheating. Then did a tilt-a-whirl action to coat the inside of the stone. There was a pool of oil in the bottom and I debated whether to pour it into the batter or just leave it on the bottom. I decided to leave it. I poured in the batter and drizzled on the agave nectar without stirring it.



I ended up baking it for 20 minutes at 350F (because I just plain forgot I had done the first batch at 400F).



I just put a flat stone on top of it, flipped it over, and it came right out.




No comments:

Post a Comment