Sunday, April 8, 2012

the Sunday Special - homemade bread

I made homemade bread for the first time this week. Yeah, I used the bread machine all by myself. =) It came with some recipes and I used the Basic Wheat Bread one as a guide. But of course, the best part is substituting and making it your own.


Yeah, that sounds good. I think I'll call it..... Coconut Barley Bread

Ingredients
Trader Joe's Vanilla Coconut Milk: 1 1/8 cups
Egg:1
Butter: 2 Tbsp
Sugar: 1 Tbsp
Salt: 1 tsp
Whole Wheat Pastry Flour: 2 cups
All purpose white Flour: 1/2 cup minus 1 Tbsp
Flax Seed Meal: 1 Tbsp
Moist Malted Barley (left over from making home brew): 4 heaping Tbsp
Active Dry Yeast: 2 1/8 tsp

Here's what I did.
1. Measure ingredients and place into the baking pan in the order listed.
2. Insert the backing pan securely into the machine and close the lid.
3. Select the appropriate settings. (In this case, I chose 'fresh milk basic bread'.) and push Start.

In about 3 hours, you have hot out of the oven bread. And that is the best time to eat it. I like it hot enough to melt the butter! I was not about to take a picture and run the risk of eating it cold. ha! So here it is a day later and half eaten.



A couple things I've noticed that make me want to make more. It has a nice coconut aroma. Subtle but delightful.
It seems moister than other homemade breads, even the next day it's still moist.

Yay! Now go make some bread. =)

jess

No comments:

Post a Comment