Sunday, October 31, 2010

the Sunday Special - Chicken Tortilla Soup

My mom started a tradition years ago when my sister and I still lived at home. Every year around Halloween, she made Chicken Tortilla Soup and my sister and I have both continued this tradition on our own. Over the years, I started adding more and more veges to mine, but this year I decided to be true to the original recipe.... measuring the ingredients and all :)


Chicken Tortilla Soup

2 tablespoons oil
1 chopped onion
1 crushed garlic clove
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies
1 can beef broth (14.5 oz)
1 can chicken broth (14.5 oz)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon steak sauce
2 teaspoons Worcestershire
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon pepper
3 cups cooked chicken chopped
Tortilla chips
3 cups shredded Monterey Jack
Paprika

Heat oil and add onion and garlic. Saute until soft. Add all other ingredients except chips, cheese, and chicken. Simmer for one hour. Add chicken until hot. Layer crushed chips, cheese, soup and top with a little cheese and paprika.

4-6 servings



And before I run off to enjoy the rest of Halloween.... here are our costumes!

map + road

1 comment: