Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Hungry Mother

Today, I volunteered at Hungry Mother, an organic nursery. They have a program where you can work a few hours a week in exchange for fresh organic produce. I've been wanting to learn to garden and thought it would be a good idea to get some hands on experience before starting my own...and, of course, score some yummy produce!!

Today was my first time at the nursery, but we got straight to work harvesting the tomato plants and then composting the plants and soil. I worked with 2 other girls doing this, one works there full time and the other has been volunteering for quite awhile it seemed. It was pretty easy to catch on. I definitely got the sampling part down. haha We worked for a little over 3 hours. And then we were shown what we were allowed to take home. Some of it was in a cooler and the rest we just went and picked ourselves.






Here's my loot. All of this is grown at the nursery.







Squash, tomatoes, edible flowers, strawberries, and even eggs!

I figured the flowers would quickly wilt so I had them for lunch. It reminded me of last summer when I ate my first edible flower at summer camp.


Life is beautiful.

3 comments:

  1. Ohhh! Thanks for sharing this. I want to volunteer there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should coordinate our times so we can do it together :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME! I would love to have a place like that to learn and volunteer. The flowers are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete