Sunday, May 13, 2012

the Sunday Special - tropical fruit

What better way to experience a new place than to taste the fruits of its land.





From Hawaii:
Mangosteen
Lychee
and 2 others I'm trying to find the names of.
 
Mangosteens are delicious but there is very little fruit inside them. I only bought one since they were fairly expensive, but totally would haven't eaten more. The purple rind supposedly has a lot of health benefits, so I sliced it up and brought it back with me to juice.
Lychee are good. Similar to the rambutan. They're small, but I don't like eating more than 3 at a time.
The cactus-y fruit with a green seedy inside was ok. I'm guessing the seeds are edible, but mom and I were spitting them out. Due to there small size and mixed in with the fruit, it was hard to separate them in your mouth. A little too much work for me.
The last one that looks like a potato on the outside, well, it must have not been ripe. I waited until the very last day to try it (you aren't allowed to leave Hawaii with produce), but it was not long enough. I took the tiniest bite and immediately got the worst cotton mouth of my life and spat it out. It reminded me of eating a very very green banana, though crisp like a pear. It's probably delicious when ripe. Hopefully someday I'll get a second chance to find out.

Of course we also enjoyed fresh pineapple, coconut, mango, papaya, strawberries, apple bananas, and likely a few others I've missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment