Sunday, August 4, 2013

the Sunday Special - Grandma's pan Biscuits and Gravy

It's family reunion weekend which means lots of yummy home cookin'. Even better, GRANDMA's home cookin'!

Earlier this summer, I hitched a ride with a friend (who just happens to have grown up in my grandparent's home town). Spending the weekend with my grandparents usually means walks around the lake with gma, lots of Rummikub, a nap, borderline controversial conversation, and collecting a few more recipes. This weekend had it all.

My grandpa asked me why I don't eat meat. For clarification, (not that anyone probably cares), I do eat meat occasionally. (This is a much longer conversation, so the following are just a few highlights.) I haven't bought meat besides the occasional seafood in years (We're talking groceries here). I explained to him that it is primarily due to health reasons, although environmental reasons also factor in. I don't label myself because I do not completely deprive myself of anything I love. If it tastes great and is good for me, it becomes a staple in my diet. If it tastes good and is good for me, I eat it often. If it tastes great and is not so good for me, it becomes a rare treat. This is where meat falls. Then there's the tastes-ok, but not good for you group. I gave an example of donuts. Hot fresh donuts are amazing, but let them cool, they really aren't that great and they have no real nutritional value. So if it doesn't really taste all that great and is not good for me, why on earth should I put it in my mouth. (Hunger also plays a role, but I'm leaving that out for the example.) For those who love donuts regardless of freshness, this is a bad example...and so it was for them.

Somehow at the end of this conversation, it was decided that we were having biscuits and gravy for dinner. Yes, 'sausage' gravy. I would have been happy to eat it without the sausage, but hey, grandma's cooking. And I LOVE biscuits and gravy. AND she made it special for me.

I miss cooking with her at the farm, but one of the charming things she did there carried over to their little apartment. She tapes up her hand written recipes on the inside of the cabinet doors. Something about it makes me so happy-sad.


Biscuit Recipe

2 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup oil
2/3 cup milk


She cooked them in a pan instead of the oven and they turned out perfect.




She put this worn out burner cover thing over the burner and therefore under the pan to prevent it from burning, I guess. Isn't this thing beautiful, what ever it is. I seriously hope it doesn't get thrown away because I would love to hang it on my wall.




mmmm. So good. Thanks Grandma!!

No comments:

Post a Comment