Sunday, September 1, 2013

the Sunday Special: My twist on Gma's Biscuits & Gravy

After posting my Grandma's Biscuits and Gravy, I decided to make my own. 


Lentil Biscuits & Mushroom Gravy

Yep, I can not resist making them healthier....and using what I have on hand. This Ground Seitan was on sale and I'm a sucker for a sale and for good graphic design. I don't usually buy faux meat...actually this was probably the first time.






All of my measuring cups are packed away, so I used a glass jar and a regular old spoon.

Mushroom Gravy: 
1 small Onion diced.
2 cloves of Garlic minced.
Used 8 oz of 'Sausage' (but really 4 oz would have been better...and really I wouldn't even bother with it at all unless there will be complaints without it.)
Used 1 jar (= aprox 2 cups) of non-condensed Creamy Mushroom Soup. (4 cups = 2 jars would have been better. Maybe even 6 cups.)
1 large handful of Spinach chopped.

Saute onion and garlic. Add 'sausage', heat through. Add soup. Lower temp and heat til warm. Add spinach. Stir. Turn off burner. When spinach has 'relaxed' and become 1 with the gravy, it's done and ready to serve.



Lentil Biscuits:
1/2 tahini jar (= approx 1 cup) cooked Red Lentils - chilled
1/2 tahini jar (= approx 1 cup) Whole Wheat Flour
4 flatted spoons (=approx 4 teaspoons) Baking Powder
approx 1/2 t Salt

Thoroughly mix salt and baking powder. Add flour and lentils and stir until lentils are equally coated. Then use hands to moosh/knead until it forms a ball. Add a bit of flour if too wet or a bit of water if too dry. Flatten the ball and back at 350 for about 10-12 minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment