Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Bringing Art To Schools


I don't know if it is all of California or just in this county, but art has not been part of the curriculum for years (so I've been told). How sad! Art, of course, was one of my very favorite parts of school. Well, a few other people agree it's pretty sad and started BATS, oh I don't know how many years ago.

Well, a couple weeks ago, I met Joy, the director of BATS and she asked me to join the Visiting Artist Program. Hmmm, let's see. Painting. With Kids. And I get Paid? Um, YEAH!

So I pitched her a few different ideas for projects and we decided to start with "Paint What You Love". She sent the idea out to the teachers and I have received such a huge response back. I have 13 teachers requesting that I come paint with their class! So exciting! Last week, I taught my first class.

These are the paintings I bring to class to show the kids my style and hopefully inspire them.

We discuss what 'abstract' means.



My "Elephant in Rollerskates" was the painting that gave me the idea for this project. We brainstorm all their favorite things, favorite places, activities, etc. I have them pick 5 (or less for the little'ns) and create a scene or story with them.


And today, I finished my 3rd and 4th classes. Here's some of their creations.


The teacher and the helper also got into it. They painted the top 2 little ones.






Seriously, this is an awesome gig! Totally loving it!

3 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you and the children. Art should be in everyone's life. Good job, Babe!

    Michelle! What are you doing up at 4:38 am?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a coughing fit and waiting for the medicine to kick in!

    ReplyDelete