Sunday, April 17, 2011

the Sunday Special - Orange French Toast

Nick tends to get up before me. I guess he just doesn't need as much sleep. On his way downstairs, he asks me what I want for breakfast and starts naming things off. I stopped him at french toast and then asked if he could try putting some orange juice in the mixture and let the bread soak it up. He ran off to cook while I fell back to sleep.

Breakfast was ready just as I came down the stairs, and this was the yummy plate waiting for me.



He said the orange juice was too runny and thought it would make the bread fall apart. Instead, he made an Orange Sauce that he poured over the french toast and garnished it with banana slices. The banana went really well with the sauce so I asked for more slices with mine. :)

This is how he made the orange sauce.

Orange Sauce

1.5 cups orange juice
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp vanilla

Combine ingredients in a small saucepan. Boil for 30-45 minutes until thick, stirring occasionally.

We make french toast with cinnamon and vanilla added to the egg mixture (just like my mama makes it) and use wheat bread. Nick added some pineapple and an egg scramble with hash browns, canadian bacon, sweet peppers, and spinach.

If you'd like to check out the other Sunday Specials I've posted in the past, here's the link --> the Sunday Special.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you liked it. It was fun to make, and I liked how it made the kitchen smell like oranges.

    ReplyDelete