Monday, April 12, 2010

High Altittude Cookies


Ever since I moved to 7400 feet, my cookies just haven't come out right. Today, I baked sugar cookies that came out okay, then I added some peanut butter to the remaining batter. Ooow, they were good. I got a little distracted on the last tray though, and they got a little over done. So... I decided to try making frosting. Frosting I looked up what the main ingredients are.... sugar, butter, vanilla extract, and milk. I tend to not measure so I can only estimate what went into it. I ended up experimenting like usual, and came up with a yummy Peanut Butter, Dark Chocolate, Cream Cheese Frosting. Ahaha! I'm not really a sprinkle eating kind of girl, but they sure are cute, aren't they.

For my fellow 'high-altituders' looking for a good cookie recipe, this is my best guess as to what went into them. I started with this recipe and made these adjustments.

Sour Cream Sugar Cookies

1 cup White sugar -- omitted 3 tbsp
1/2 cup Butter or margarine (softened) --omitted about 3 tbsp per my own preference.
1/2 cup Sour cream
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
1 Egg
2 1/2 cup All purpose flour -- 2 cups white self rising flour & 1/2 cup high altitude whole wheat
1 tsp Baking powder -- omitted altogether because I didn't have any
1/2 tsp Baking soda
1/2 tsp Salt

Added 3 tbsp water and if adding Peanut Butter to a whole batch, I'm guessing 1/2 cup.


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Mix the sugar, butter, sour cream, vanilla extract and egg together. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Grease the cookie sheet. Drop the dough in about tbsp size balls and bake or you could flatten them to about 1/4" thickness with the bottom of a glass. Bake for about 7 to 8 minutes or just until set. Cool for a few minutes before removing from cookie sheets. Although...I eat mine the moment they come out of the oven because I like 'em hot with a cold glass a milk!


The Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting.
(totally guessing on the amounts so you might have to play with it a little)

1 bar of your favorite dark chocolate
3 tbsp butter
1/2 peanut butter
4 0z cream cheese

powder sugar to taste (depending on how sweet your chocolate and pb is)

melted the chocolate and butter. then stirred in the cream cheese and peanut butter. next time i plan to soften the cream cheese too because it left lumps, but you might be able to use a mixer to cream them together. i hand mixed it. frost the cooled cookies. add sprinkles and then allow frosting to set up. ENJOY!

if you try them, let me know how yours turn out.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, they look sooo delicious! :) And thank you for following my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi there! i'm a fellow Indie Biz student and thought i'd check out your blog. your cookies look wonderful! Your just like me, tweeking a recipe as you go along, i also love baking (you can see some of my cakes and cupcakes on my blog) and i'm always trying to find new and awesome flavors! a few weeks ago I made a sour lime icing... AWESOME!!! tasted like sweet tarts!

    ReplyDelete