Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Busy Busy + DIY

I've been super busy this week getting ready for the next chapter of my life. I have been doing some design work, packing, sewing projects, and more. Thought I'd share an easy DIY for fixing holes in clothing. I received these blue pants in a big free bag of random things. I was happy to find that they fit me and are super cute and comfy. They did however have a rip in the crotch area so I busted out my trusty sewing kit and went to town.

A before picture showing the rip.


mended rip

Then I tried them on to take this picture and noticed a hole in one of the legs. It was big enough to put my finger through so I went about fixin' it a different way.

I cut a small piece of scrap fabric to be a patch for the hole. The fabric was fairly thin so I folded it in half to make it 2 ply thick. The patch was just a little bigger than the hole itself. I placed the patch on the inside of the pant leg and did a quick simple stitch around it once to hold it in place. I'm not familiar with stitch names, but from what I found on fiber-images.com, I think it's called a basting stitch.

Then I went around the whole hole a couple times with lots of overlapping stitches (aka 'overhand' stitches) until I was satisfied with that. Then I did the same thing again around the outer edge of the patch to slow down the fraying.

I'm leaving Tahoe today and heading to Camp Augusta tonight. Goodbye Tahoe, see ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment