Sunday, September 12, 2010

Another Year

Another year older. Another year of goals.
Yesterday was my 31st birthday so I'm looking over my list of goals I set this past year. I actually didn't write and post these goals until January, so this year I want to get started on them right away.

Although I didn't accomplish all my 30 before 31 goals, I am going to review them here anyway.

30 things before I'm 31


1. design/launch my website <---- I bought spunkidoodle.com! I have 'designed' it but have not BUILT it yet. The technical part is what I'm working on now.
2. redesign blog and make it public <---- I made it public in March. I have designed my website so the blog will probably look similar.
3. start selling on etsy.com <---- man, I was really hoping I could say 'yes, I am' by now, but I have just a few more things to do before opening it...such as product photo shoots, etc.
4. sell a painting to a stranger. <---- hmmm. well, I was commissioned to design an illustration for someone, does that count? :)
5. write and illustrate a children's book <---- nope. didn't do this one.
6. be in a craft/handmade (ie Renegade Handmade)/art show <---- I was not 'in' one, but I did get to attend Renegade Handmade for the first time and meet this awesome lady!
7. sew a dress via a pattern <---- nope. still on my list.
8. grandma's cookbook <---- nope. didn't do this one.
9. learn to snowboard <---- Yes! but I'm still not very good
10. get dreads <---- Yes!!!!
11. visit 3 new places/states <---- Since my birthday last year.... I was in the Outer Banks, NC for my birthday. Lived in Asheville, NC for 3 months. Visited New York City for the first time. Checked out Charelston, SC. Moved to Tahoe (Stateline, NV) in January. On the drive out there, I got to spend some time in NM and AZ. Did quite a bit of thrift shopping in Sacramento, CA. Shouted out Portland, OR (it was suppose to be Portland, Seattle, and BC but I broke my hand in Portland and had to cut the trip short). Went on a road trip with my cousin to San Francisco, Paso Robles, Morro Bay, and San Luis Obispo. Camped at Yosemite National Park for the first time. And then I lived in Nevada City, CA at a summer camp for a month. So not only did I visit way more than 3 new places/states, I lived in 4 states this past year (yeah 4, 'cause I also lived in Kansas for a month during the holidays).
12. get a stamp in my passport/visit Niecey <---- This trip was cut short. We made it to Portland (less than 5 hrs from the border), but a couple factors changed our plans. Niecey was sick and thought we should plan the visit for another time... plus I broke my hand and needed to get home to find someone to put a cast on it. So this one is still on my list.
13. handmade Christmas (& probably bdays) <---- Yep.
14. collect cool glasses and vintage fabric <---- oh yes.
15. make new friends <---- awww. I sure did. Some Indie Biz friends. Some Tahoe Friends. And my Camp Augusta friends/family. And a few others.
16. make an ear or neck warmer <---- no, but I made this instead.
17. fill all the frames and canvases that left Asheville with me <---- ha, ha. I gave them a run for their money. Here are some of the paintings I've done.
18. visit Sarah G. <---- I met up with her at Yosemite, but it didn't work out to go see her place in Mendocino.
19. reach day 30 of snowboarding <---- I passed the half way mark and then broke my hand. So sad to miss out on the second half of the season and my chance to get good at it, But it was super fun while it lasted.
20. me on video -----^ <---- Yes, from the beginning, but I was waiting to get a little better before I did another one.
21. learn to sew a button hole <---- the need never came up so I didn't even try.
22. eat something new <---- I tried quite a few new foods this year, with my favorite being beets!
23. find 5-10 mentors and keep up with what they are doing/accomplishing <---- Yes. I made a lot of new friends through the Indie Biz class I took. Plus the 3 teachers are so inspiring. Plus I even got to meet my #1 mentor/model.
24. learn flash <---- I read the e-manual and worked through a ton of the tutorials, but I dont feel like I have really learned flash. I need to be using it to feel like I know it.
25. make some promotional clothing <---- no. not yet anyway.
26. decorate my snowboard &/or jacket <---- I didn't bother because I realized that it could decrease their performance.
27. a fun photoshoot <---- oh, probably. right now, I'm looking forward to a photo shoot with my friend in exchange for this painting.
28. write up my business plan. <---- yes. it's evolving
29. make a grocery bag <---- no. I might still do this, but I actually received a few free ones already that I didn't 'need' to make one.
30. volunteer to design/paint, etc. <---- Yes. I volunteered a whole month of my life at Camp Augusta. I got to design and paint and be crafty! Plus I got to teach others those things, too.

A few other things I did this year that I am proud of...I did the high zip line in the dark. I survived the Canoggan. I road the Amtrak for the first time (actually 2 times...and by myself...and the first time was with a broken hand.) I found and had the best tenants ever. I took an online Indie Biz class from one of my business models and stayed on track with the assignments even though I had a broken hand the entire course....taking notes and doing assignments left handed. I finished a painting with my broken hand and was contacted the next day asking if it was for sale or trade. I learned to fly a kite. I completed some respectably long hikes at Yosemite. I'll probably think of more later.

I am in the process of accomplishing some current goals and consolidating a master list of them all. I also have some cute birthday photos to share, some garage sale finds, and more.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, so proud of you! That's more than some of us accomplish in our lifttime. You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete